Once you download Heeney Theme, unzip the main item. you will see the following folders:
Heeney.zip- Theme files that you will need to upload into your wordpress themes directory
Documentation.zip- Documentation files, this which you are already browsing this momentt
Demo Content.zip- Demo Content such as pages, posts, and so on, title says it all.
Heeney Installable- The installable .zip archive that you can upload on your WordPress installation.
Licensing- Theme license (GPL) and other items used by the theme
When you activate the theme, you will need to install some mandatory plugins aswell, those are:
MailChimp- Used for the newsletter systems.
Contact Form 7- Contact Form 7 is used for the Contact Formular in Heeney Theme.
Heeney can be installed in two different ways:
- Installing through WordPress
- Installing through FTP (File Transfer Protocol) - Manually uploading the unzipped theme into themes directory
Installation through WordPress
Installing a theme through wordpress is quite a simple process. After you have logged into wordpress account and are ready to go, in the admin panels sidebar navigate to appearance and then select themes. After that, click on the install themes tab and select upload from the navigation bar right below it. Click "choose file" button and locate your theme zip file (Heeney.zip) then hit install now. After Heeney has been installed locate and click activate.
Please be informed that you should not upload the whole item you have downloaded from Themeforest as you will get an error of broken stylesheet file. Instead locate the Heeney.zip file inside the main file you have downloaded.
While installing your theme through wordpress admin, you may encounter an error message saying "are sure you want to do this?". This is mainly due to your hosting php settings. Heeney theme zip file is roughly around 6mb and in some hostings the default value for max_upload_limit left default which is 2mb. To solve this problem you should either increase your maximum upload size (to 10mb) on your hosting admin panel or ask your host to do it for you if you do not have the privilege to alter your server php settings. This is a very common request and they should be able to help you out. Once the limit is increased you can re-try the install and you'll be all good to go.
- Download the Theme archive and extract the main theme zip file that contains
- You may need to preserve the directory structure in the archive when extracting these files. Some softwares like "winrar" create a sub directory with the same directory name they have unzipped. uploading the theme to your server via FTP with this structure is WRONG and you will face some errors.
- Use an FTP client (for example filezilla) to access your host web server
- Transfer your unzipped theme to your server in the wp-content/themes
- Once the theme is uploaded, you will need to activate it. Go to Appearance > Themes and activate your uploaded theme.
Installation through FTP
Increasing WordPress Limit
Increasing the WordPress Memory Limit
- Edit your wp-config.php file and search for this line, the default value should be 32M or 64M, raise it if needed:
- If you have access to your PHP.ini file, change the line in PHP.ini If your line shows 32M try 64M:
- If you don't have access to PHP.ini try adding this to an .htaccess file:
- If none of the above works then talk with your hosting provider and let him know about your problem.
Note:Please note that WordPress memory can be different to the server - you need to set this regardless of server memory settings
memory_limit = 64M ; Maximum amount of memory a script may consume (64MB)
php_value memory_limit 64M
Updating the Theme
There are 2 methods to update our wordpress themes to a newer version. These new updates are essential if you want to have a bugfree website as we give new features and improvements to the theme over time, some of these updates might be needed in order to make the theme compatible with wordpress newer versions. There is no risk on losing your settings and pages. However if you had done modifictations on theme files, then they will be lost.
Update Through Wordpress Admin Panel
- For this method you should first install Theme Upgrade Tool
- Unzip the file you just downloaded from ThemeForest and locate the WordPress Theme. (eg.
- Log into your WordPress Dashboard.
- Click on "Appearance > Themes".
- Still within the Themes section, on header tab, click on "Install Themes", then on header second tab click "Upload".
- Click "Browse..." and locate the new theme file. (eg.
- In the "Upgrade existing theme?" option choose "Yes" from the dropdown list.
- Click "Install Now".
- Click "Activate"
Update Through FTP
- Login into your Themeforest account and go to downloads (Dashboad > downloads)
- Download the theme into your computer
- Install an FTP program (Filezilla is free)
- Retrieve your FTP login information from your hosting control panel and login into FTP
- Unzip the item main file
Heeney.zipand unzip it. Make sure your unzipping software doesn't create an extra directory with the same name nested into each other.
- Drag and Drop theme main folder into your FTP program with the destination :
- FTP program will give a warning that there is an existing directory with the same name, choose to replace all.
- It will take a few minutes to replace all the files, so be patient and let it do its job.
Heeney Theme comes with Redux Framework, this means lots of customization for you and your project, all being at a push of a button.
What is Redux Framework?
Redux is a simple, truly extensible and fully responsive options framework for WordPress themes and plugins. Built on the WordPress Settings API, Redux supports a multitude of field types as well as: custom error handling, custom fields & validation types, and import/export functionality.
Theme Options you can choose how your page will be displayed, the fonts that will be used, even the colors for individual elements:
Here you can find all of the Blog setings, from blog layout, to featured posts layout, search types and more, we'll explain every single one down bellow.
Blog type: There are 3 types of Blog Types(layouts) that can be used in Heeney (List, Grid and Grid without background). The names themselves are pretty self explanatory.
Featured Posts / Show Featured Posts: The featured posts that appear in the Header of the Blog can be selected here. There are 3 types of layouts (Grid up to 3 posts, Slider, and Hero Post which displays a single post). As you can see in the image presented down bellow you can choose which posts you want featured by simply pressing the "Add" button and adding the desired post and choosing the type of layout you want those posts displayed on.
Search Box / Search Box Elements: We've added an option to choose how the search box is displayed as well, making the blog layout even more customizable. You can have your Search Box with background, Before the blog posts, or not at all, it's all up to you. To customize it even more, you can select from the "Search Box Elements" what you want to display in that Search Box by simply using the drag & drop system.
Hide Date Info: Self-explanatory option, you can choose whether you want the date to be displayed or not, simple as that.
Here you can control the informations that are being displayed in the Header area of your Blog.
Header Icons: Social icons that are being displayed in the header of your blog. The format used for this is "icon|link" meaning you first input the font-awesome icon class separated with a "|" by the link you want that icon to redirect to.
Show: In the Header you have the option to display a Slider, Ads or nothing at all. All of this can be selected from a dropdown option.
Slider Posts: If you chose "Slider" to be displayed in your header from the "Show" options, here is the area where you can select which posts you want to be displayed in that slider.
Here you can control the informations that are being displayed in the Footer area of your Blog.
Footer Text: Here you can basically fill in your copyright content.
Popular Tags Limit: Limit the number of tags that are being displayed in the Footer area.
Featured Posts: Add the posts that you want to be displayed as featured posts by simply pressing the "Add" option and choosing the posts you want to display.
Subscribe Box: Tick this option if you want to have a newsletter box above your footer area.
Subscribe Form Title / Subtitle: If you chose to display the Subscribe Box, here's where you can change the title, subtitle.
Subscribe Form Shortcode: The newsletter in Heeney uses MailChimp, which means you must have a mailchimp account with a valid subscriber list in which your users can subscribe to. Upon the creation of the Subscribe form you'll be prompted with a shortcode, that shortcode will be placed in this area.